carrot chutney recipe
Quick and tasty carrot chutney recipe.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
main ingredients for carrot chutney
- 150 grams carrots or 1 cup chopped carrots (gajar)
- 1 teaspoon oil [can use sesame oil (gingelly oil), peanut oil or sunflower oil]
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (husked and split bengal gram)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- 4 to 5 curry leaves (kadi patta) - chopped
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ⅓ cup grated coconut
- ⅓ to ½ cup water
- salt as required
for tempering carrot chutney
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 4 to 5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
making carrot chutney
First peel and rinse 1 large delhi carrot (150 grams) and then chop it. You will need 1 cup chopped carrots.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add 1 teaspoon urad dal and 1 teaspoon chana dal.
Saute till both the dals turn golden.
Then add 1 green chili (chopped), 4 to 5 curry leaves (chopped) and 1 pinch of asafoetida. Mix very well.
Then add 1 cup of chopped carrots. mix again.
Then add salt and on a low to medium-low saute the carrots stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes.
Then add ⅓ cup grated coconut.
Mix very well and saute for a minute.
Let the mixture become warm and then add it in a grinder jar along with ⅓ to ½ cup water.
Grind till smooth.
Remove the carrot chutney in a bowl.
tempering for carrot chutney
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan.
Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
Once the mustard seeds crackle, add 4 to 5 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida. Mix and stir.
Pour all of the tempering in the carrot chutney. Mix well.
Serve carrot chutney with idli, dosa, adai or vadai.