chura matar recipe
chura matar - UP style recipe of chooda matar or matar poha. chooda matar is a popular evening snack.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1.5 cups thick poha OR 90 grams poha (flattened rice or parched rice)
- ½ cup fresh green peas (matar) OR 80 grams matar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- ½ to ⅔ cup water for cooking green peas
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 to 12 cashews (kaju)
preparation for chura matar recipe:
take 1.5 cups thick poha (90 grams) in a strainer or colander.
rinse with fresh water twice. move the poha with your hands while rinsing.
the poha just need to get softened. so rinse gently.
making chura matar recipe:
heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai.
add 10 to 12 cashews (chopped or halved) and fry them in the oil.
fry till the cashews become golden. you can also add some raisins if you want.
remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside in a separate bowl or plate.
add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds to the same oil and let them crackle.
add 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped) and 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away. basically saute for some seconds.
then add the ½ cup fresh green peas (80 grams) and mix it well with the remaining ingredients.
next add ½ to ⅔ cup water for cooking green peas.
season with salt as per taste. also add ¼ teaspoon sugar. mix well.
cover the pan with its lid and cook on a medium-low to medium flame till the peas are cooked.
in between do check and give a stir. in case all the water dries up and the peas are not cooked, then add some more hot water and continue to cook the peas.
when the peas are cooked and there is some moisture in the pan, then add ½ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida.
mix very well. then add the poha.
gently mix the poha with the rest of the mixture. cook for a minute. you can also cover the pan and cook for a minute on low flame.
then add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice and mix it with the poha.
switch off the flame and add ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves. mix very well.
serve chura matar hot or warm garnished with the fried cashews.
tips for making chooda matar recipe
- for a more spicy taste, increase the number of green chilies. also add more black pepper and garam masala powder.
- you can add more sugar if you want.
- can use thick white poha or thick red poha.
- you can add more green peas if you want.
- fresh green peas taste best, but if you cannot get fresh green peas, then used frozen green peas.