instant thakkali rasam
this is a easy and quick tomato rasam recipe made without rasam powder.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
to be crushed coarsely
- 5 to 6 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
for tomato puree
- 250 grams tomatoes OR 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes (thakkali)
other ingredients for thakkali rasam
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (gingelly oil)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 cups water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
preparing coarse spice mix for rasam
in a grinder jar, take 5 to 6 small to medium garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and ¼ teaspoon whole black pepper.
pulse or grind to get a coarse mixture. remove and keep aside.
making tomato puree
in the same jar, add roughly chopped 250 grams tomatoes (2 large or 3 medium tomatoes).
grind or blend to a smooth puree. keep aside.
making instant thakkali rasam
heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil (gingelly oil) in a pan or pot. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and ½ teaspoon urad dal.
on a low flame saute till the urad dal starts to turn golden and the mustard seeds crackle.
then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 8 to 10 curry leaves, 2 dry red chilies and a generous pinch of asafoetida. stir and mix.
then add the coarsely ground mixture of cumin seeds + garlic + whole black pepper. mix and stir very well.
next add tomato puree and mix again.
add 2 cups water and stir very well.
season with salt as required. mix again.
cover the pan and simmer thakkali rasam on a medium-low to medium flame for 8 to 9 minutes.
when you see a frothy layer on top with some specks of oil floating on top, then the thakkali rasam is done. switch off the flame.
then add 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
serve instant thakkali rasam as a side dish or appetizer or serve it with steamed rice.
Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 16.5% | Vitamin C: 99.5% | Calcium: 3.3% | Iron: 5%