paneer kathi roll
in this paneer roll recipe, the stuffing is of paneer tikka, green chutney and veggie salad. overall this is a healthy and delicious recipe of paneer roll or paneer frankie.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 paneer tikka wraps
for paneer marination
- 6 tablespoon hung curd or thick curd or greek yogurt
- ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste OR 1 inch ginger + 3 medium garlic cloves - crushed to a paste in a mortar pestle
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
for the green chutney
- 1 cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 green chilli - chopped
- 1 inch ginger - chopped
- 1 to 2 small to medium garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder) OR ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- 2 tablespoons hung yogurt or thick curd or greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon water (OPTIONAL)
for the dough
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- ¼ teaspoon salt or add as required
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ cup water or add as required
- oil or ghee as required for roasting rotis
for veggie salad topping
- ⅓ cup shredded cabbage (patta gobhi)
- ⅓ grated carrots (gajar)
- ⅓ thinly sliced capsicum (bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- ⅓ thinly sliced onion
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons oil, for pan frying paneer
preparing paneer tikka marination
in a mixing bowl take all the ingredients for the marination, except paneer.
mix very well. check the taste and add more salt if required.
now add 200 grams paneer, which has been chopped in cubes.
gently mix and let the marination coat the paneer cubes evenly. cover and keep aside for 30 minutes. if keeping for more than 30 minutes, then refrigerate.
preparing green chutney
take all the ingredients for the green chutney in a grinder jar.
add 1 teaspoon water (OPTIONAL) and grind coarsely. since the coriander and mint leaves are rinsed, the moisture from them helps in grinding.
then add 2 tablespoon hung yogurt or thick curd.
grind to a smooth chutney. remove in a bowl and keep aside. you can even refrigerate the chutney.
making veg salad for paneer kathi roll
thinly slice onion, grate carrots and shred the cabbage or thinly slice them. also thinly slice capsicum (bell pepper).
take all the veggies in a bowl. add 1 teaspoon chaat masala, 1 teaspoon lemon juice. also add salt as per taste.
mix very well and keep aside.
kneading dough to make the rolls
in a mixing bowl or pan or a large tray, take 1 cup atta (whole wheat flour), ½ tablespoon oil and salt.
then add ½ cup water in parts. first you can add ¼ cup water and add the remaining required amount of water later.
begin to knead. add water as required and knead to a smooth soft dough.
cover the dough and keep aside for it to rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
making rotis for paneer kathi roll
after 20 to 30 minutes, divide the dough into small or medium sized balls. this depends on the size of the wraps you want to make. you can also make mini wraps.
dust the dough ball with some flour. then gently roll to thin roti. the roti should not be thick. if required while rolling, you can add some more flour.
place the roti on a hot tawa. cook the base till you see blisters appearing on the rotis or the roti is ¼th cooked. do note that the tawa should be hot. so cook on a medium-high to high flame. on a low flame, the rotis will become like papads.
then flip roti. spread some oil all over.
then flip again when the second side is ½ cooked.
spread some oil on this side too. you will see golden blisters on the roti.
flip once or twice more for even roasting. remove and keep the roti in a roti basket or in a warm casserole. prepare all rotis this way.
making paneer tikka for paneer roll
heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. keep the flame to low or medium-low and add the marinated paneer cubes. add the entire marination. since i had used hung yogurt, i added the entire marinated mixture as the hung yogurt marination had coated the paneer pieces very well. but if you have used yogurt which is thin, then just add the paneer cubes.
after a minute turn over the paneer cubes.
pan fry the paneer cubes turning often till the marination is cooked and the paneer becomes soft.
keep on stirring and turning them at intervals. also use a well seasoned pan or a non stick pan, so that the paneer cubes do not stick to the pan while frying.
i cooked the paneer for about 4 minutes on a medium-low flame. do not cook too much as then paneer will become dense, cook on medium-low flame. timing will vary with the thickness of the pan, intensity of the flame etc.
once the paneer is done, remove the pan from the flame and keep aside.
assembling and making paneer kathi roll
take one roti.
spread the mint-coriander-curd chutney over it.
now place the paneer tikka cubes in the center.
top with the veg salad.
roll both the sides of the roti and make a wrap.
wrap half portion of the rolls in butter paper or aluminium foil. if packing paneer roll for tiffin, then wrap the entire roll in aluminium foil and skip adding the green chutney and veggie salad.
serve paneer kathi roll with the remaining chutney or tomato ketchup. you can also add some of the veg salad as a garnish on the paneer roll.