Hurda upma recipe with step by step photos. This is a healthy and nutritious upma made with tender sorghum grains or ponk or fresh jowar.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Ingredients for hurda upma
- 2 to 2.25 cups Hurda (fresh sorghum grains or fresh jowar or ponkh) OR 250 grams hurda
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds (rai)
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 Medium onion - chopped OR ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 8 to 10 Curry leaves - chopped (kadi patta)
- 1 to 2 Green chilies - chopped
- ½ inch Ginger - finely chopped OR ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 tablespoons Grated coconut (OPTIONAL)
- ⅓ cup Chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya patta)
- Salt as required
Serving suggestion for hurda upma
- Few lemon wedges
- Sev (OPTIONAL)
First rinse 2 cups hurda (250 grams) in a fine strainer or colander. Keep aside.
Heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan.
Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
When the mustard seed begin to crackle, then add 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds. Let the cumins seeds splutter.
Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions, 8 to 10 curry leaves (chopped), 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped) and ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
Mix very well and saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
Saute till the onions turn translucent.
Add the tender jowar grains.
Season with salt as per taste.
Mix very well and saute for a couple of minutes or till the grains are cooked. Stir often when sauteing.
Lastly add 2 tablespoons grated coconut. You can skip coconut, if you do not have it. You can also add roasted peanuts (whole or crushed) or roasted cashews.
Mix very well.
Switch off the flame and add ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves. Mix very well.
Serve hurda upma hot or warm with some lemon wedges. Do drizzle lemon juice on the upma when having it as the lemon juice perks up the flavor and taste of the upma like anything.