potato stew recipe with step by step photos - kerala style potato stew made with coconut milk and spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 250 grams potatoes OR 4 medium potatoes OR 8 small potatoes, chopped or diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced pearl onions or shallots or onions
- 1 small tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch ginger - julienned
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper - crushed
- 2 cloves (lavang) - crushed
- 1 green chilli - slit (OPTIONAL)
- 1 sprig curry leaves OR 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 cups water or 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- salt as required
take 1 teaspoon whole black pepper and 2 cloves in a mortar-pestle. crush coarsely. keep aside.
heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a pan.
add ½ cup thinly sliced pearl onions or shallots or onions, 1 small tej patta, ginger juliennes, 10 to 12 curry leaves and 1 green chilli - slit (OPTIONAL).
also add the crushed black pepper and cloves.
sauté the onions till translucent. do not brown them.
then add chopped potatoes and mix them with the onions and spices.
now add 2 cups water or thin coconut milk.
season with salt.
cover the pan with its lid and simmer on a low to medium flame till the potatoes are cooked. in between do check and stir while the potatoes are cooking.
simmer till the potatoes have softened. the potatoes need to be cooked well, but do not overcook the potatoes.
keep the flame to a low and add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
mix very well and gently heat through for a minute or two. do not heat too much or else the coconut milk can curdle.
serve potato stew with appams, idiyappams, soft dosa or ghee rice.