simple and easy potato curry recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 4 medium sized potatoes OR 280 grams potatoes
- 1 medium sized onion OR 60 grams onions OR about ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 medium to large tomatoes OR 160 grams tomatoes OR 1 cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped OR ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons oil, you can also add 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder OR ½ teaspoon regular red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder - OPTIONAL
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- salt as required
heat 3 tablespoons oil in a pan or kadai.
add ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds. no need to brown garlic.
next add ½ cup chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
then add 1 cup tightly packed chopped tomatoes and mix very well.
cover the pan with its lid and simmer on a low flame till the tomatoes soften and become mushy. do check a couple of times when the tomatoes are cooking.
when the tomatoes have softened well, then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder OR ½ teaspoon regular red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala powder and ½ teaspoon cumin powder (optional).
mix the spice powders very well with the onion-tomato mixture.
then add diced potatoes (4 medium sized potatoes, diced). also season with salt. mix very well.
pour 2 cups water and stir well.
cooking potato curry
cover the pan with its lid and simmer on a medium to medium-high flame till the potatoes are cooked.
do check a couple of times when the curry is simmering.
the curry will thicken slightly by the time the potatoes are done. in case you plan to serve this potato curry with chapatis, then you can add less water and make the curry consistency more thick.
then switch off the flame and add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves. mix very well.
serve potato curry hot with steamed rice or chapatis.
- best to make this potato curry in a pan or pot.
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 554mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 730IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3.4mg