veg kathi roll is a delicious wraps or rolls stuffed with a spiced mix veg stuffing. kathi rolls makes for a good brunch, lunch or tiffin box snack
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 10 rolls
for steaming veggies
- 1 cup chopped small cauliflower florets
- ½ cup chopped carrot cubes
- ½ cup chopped potato cubes
- ⅓ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup chopped french beans
- 1.5 cups water for steaming veggies
for making masala
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions OR 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 100 grams tomatoes OR 1 large tomato or ½ cup chopped 1 cm tomato cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped 1 cm capsicum cubes (bell pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder OR ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated or crumbled paneer, - OPTIONAL
- salt as required
for making rotis
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water or add as required
- oil or ghee as required for roasting rotis
toppings for veg kathi roll
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions OR 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder OR a pinch of red chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon lemon juice or add as per taste
- grated cheese, - OPTIONAL
rinse and chop all veggies and take them in a pan or bowl that fits inside a 3 litre pressure cooker. you can also add your choice of veggies.
now add 1.5 cups water in the cooker. place the pan in the cooker.
pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles on medium flame or for 12 to 15 minutes. the veggies have to cooked well, yet retain their shape. you can also steam veggies in a pan or an electric rice cooker. cover and keep aside.
in a mixing bowl or pan or a large tray, take atta (whole wheat flour), oil & salt.
then add 1 cup water in parts. first you can add ½ cup water and add the remaining required amount of water later.
begin to knead. add water as required and knead to a smooth soft dough.
cover the dough and keep aside for it to rest for 30 minutes.
preparing marinated onions
in a small bowl, take thinly sliced onions, chaat masala, kashmiri red chili powder OR a pinch of red chili powder lemon juice.
mix very well. cover and keep aside or you can refrigerate too.
making veg stuffing
heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan or kadai. then add ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds) and ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds. let them splutter.
then add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and saute till the onions turn translucent.
add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
stir and saute till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
add ½ cup chopped tomatoes.
mix well and saute the tomatoes on a low to medium flame for 3 minutes or till they soften.
then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder. mix very well. if using regular red chili powder, then add ¼ teaspoon of it.
then add ⅓ cup chopped capsicum cubes & saute for two or three minutes.
next add all the steamed veggies. if there is any water in the pan of the steamed veggies, then add this water too. also add salt as per taste.
mix very well.
on a low to medium flame saute for 4 to 5 minutes. do make sure that the veg stuffing is dry.
next add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves. mix very well.
lastly add ¼ cup grated or crumbled paneer. paneer is optional and you can skip it. check the taste and add more salt or chili powder if required. mix very well and keep the veg stuffing aside.
making rotis for veg kathi roll
after 30 minutes, divide the dough into small or medium sized balls. this depends on the size of the wraps you want to make. you can also make mini wraps.
dust the dough ball with some flour. then gently roll to thin roti. the roti should not be thick. if required while rolling, you can add some more flour.
place the roti on a hot tawa. cook the base till you see bubbles appearing on the rotis or the roti is ¼th cooked. do note that the tawa should be hot. so cook on a medium-high to high flame. on a low flame, the rotis will become like papads.
then flip roti.
spread some oil all over.
then flip again when the second side is ½ cooked.
spread some oil on this side too. you will see golden blisters on the roti.
flip once or twice more for even roasting. remove and keep the roti in a roti basket or in a warm casserole. prepare all rotis this way.
making kathi roll
now take a single roti. place the mix veggie stuffing in the centre. if you have mint coriander chutney, you can also spread some chutney on the rotis, before placing the veg stuffing.
sprinkle some chaat masala powder on top. add the marinated onions on top of the veg stuffing. you can also add some grated cheddar cheese or paneer on top. now roll both the sides of the roti
you can wrap them in butter paper or aluminium foil from the base, so that while eating the stuffing does not fall down. if you want you can even secure the wraps with a toothpick. you can even pack these in tiffin box. skip adding onions if packing in tiffin box.
serve veg kathi roll just plain as they taste good the way they are. or you can accompany some chutney or tomato ketchup by the side.
- you can add less or more spice powders.
- you can add your choice of veggies. also greens like palak or methi leaves can be added in the stuffing.