veg vada recipe
mix veg vadai is a crisp and tasty vada made with chana dal and chopped mix vegetables.
Prep Time3 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time3 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 12 vadas
- ½ cup chana dal (split and husked bengal gram) - soaked in enough water
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cabbage (patta gobhi)
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot (gajar)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cauliflower (phool gobi)
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum (shimla mirch or bell pepper)
- ⅛ cup finely chopped french beans
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 green chillies - chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves OR 8 to 10 chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
- oil for deep frying
- salt as required
preparation for veg vada recipe
firstly rinse and then soak ½ cup chana dal in enough water for 2 hours.
then drain all the water and add the soaked chana dal in a grinder jar.
without adding any water grind to a smooth paste. if you want you can grind to a semi coarse paste with some chana dal kept whole. but for this recipe i always grind till smooth. scrape the sides while grinding to get an evenly ground mixture.
if you are not able to grind, then you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons water or more if required.
do not add too much water as then you won't able to shape into vadas and then you will have to fry like pakoras.
finely chop the onion, veggies, green chilies, ginger and coriander leaves. the veggies that i have added are cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, capsicum and french beans.
shaping veg vadai
in a pan or bowl add the finely chopped veggies.
then add this ground chana dal paste in the same bowl.
add 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves and salt as per taste.
mix very well.
take a portion and shape into round patties or vadai.
frying veg vadai
heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai.
when the oil becomes medium hot, then gently slid the vadai in the oil. do not over crowd the kadai or pan. fry at medium flame.
when the base turns light golden and crisp, then turn over the veg vada with a slotted spoon.
flip a couple of times more and fry till the veg vadai are crisp and golden.
remove the fried veg vadai with a slotted spoon.
place them on kitchen paper towels. prepare all the vadai this way.
serve veg vada hot with coconut chutney or coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.