south indian vegetable biryani recipe
south indian veg biryani recipe - aromatic and spiced south indian style veg biryani made in pressure cooker
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
main ingredients for vegetable biryani
- 1.5 cups seeraga samba rice OR 300 grams seeraga samba rice
- 3 cups chopped mixed vegetables - like cauliflower (gobi), carrot, potato, french beans, capsicum (shimla mirch), mushrooms, baby corn
- ⅓ cup green peas (matar)
- 4 tablespoons oil, can also use ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 sprig curry leaves OR 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder OR ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2.75 to 3 cups water
- salt as required
for masala paste
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool) - OPTIONAL
- ¼ teaspoon whole black peppers (sabut kali mirch)
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 1.25 cups roughly chopped onions OR 2 medium to large onions, roughly chopped OR 130 grams chopped onions
- ¾ cup roughly chopped tomatoes OR 1 large tomato, roughly chopped OR 100 grams roughly chopped tomato
- ½ tablespoon roughly chopped ginger (adrak)
- ½ tablespoon roughly chopped garlic (lahsun)
- ½ tablespoon roughly chopped green chillies (hari mirch)
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves (pudina patta)
preparation for south indian vegetable biryani
rinse a couple of times and then soak 1.5 cups seeraga samba rice OR 300 grams seeraga samba rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
meanwhile in a grinder jar, take all spices.
add roughly chopped onions, roughly chopped tomatoes, chopped ginger, chopped garlic, chopped green chillies, roughly chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
without adding any water, grind to a smooth paste. keep aside.
also chop all the veggies and keep aside. you will need 3 cups chopped mixed vegetables. you can use veggies like cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, french beans, capsicum, mushrooms, baby corn.
making south indian vegetable biryani
heat 4 tablespoons oil in a 3 litre pressure cooker. you can also use ghee instead of oil. add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them splutter.
then add 10 to 12 curry leaves and stir.
add the ground masala paste. the mixture might splutter, so be careful while adding.
stir very well and sauté the masala on low flame till you see oil releasing from the sides. stir often while sautéing the masala.
then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi) and 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder. if not using kashmiri red chilli powder, then add ½ teaspoon red chilli powder.
mix both these spice powders very well.
now add the chopped mix veggies. also add ⅓ cup of green peas.
mix the veggies with the masala and sauté for a minute.
add the soaked rice and gently mix the rice with the veggies.
add 2.75 to 3 cups water. if using basmati rice, then depending on the quality of rice, you can add 2.5 to 2.75 cups rice.
then add 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
season with salt as per taste and mix well. check the taste of the water and it should taste slightly salty.
pressure cook vegetable biryani for 2 to 3 whistles or for 9 to 10 minutes on medium flame.
when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. fluff the vegetable biryani and then serve.
serve south indian vegetable biryani made in pressure cooker with raita or salad or pickle.
Calories: 507kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 674mg | Potassium: 542mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 151.6% | Vitamin C: 93.2% | Calcium: 10.6% | Iron: 16.4%