Mushroom Do Pyaza
Mushroom do pyaza is button mushrooms cooked in a semi dry gravy of double the amount of onions.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 200 grams mushrooms or about 2.5 cups chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 200 grams onions or 2 large onions or ¾ cup onions cut in one inch square and ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 150 grams tomatoes or 2 medium to large tomatoes or 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 to 2 green chillies - slit or sliced
- ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- some coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt as required
Peel and then rinse 2 large onions (200 grams). Chop one onion and if required some portion of the second onion, in one inch squares. You will need ¾ cup onion squares.
Finely chop the remaining onion. You will need ½ cup finely chopped onions.
Also finely chop 2 medium to large tomatoes (150 grams) and 200 grams button mushrooms (about 2 to 2.5 cups chopped mushrooms).
making mushroom do pyaza
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a kadai or pan.
Add the onions which have been cut into squares. On a medium-low or medium flame, begin to saute the onions.
Stir at intervals while sautéing the onions. Saute the onions till the edges turn golden.
Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
Lower the flame and in the same pan, add 1 small to medium tej patta.
Add ½ cup finely chopped onions and saute till translucent or till light golden.
Then add ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
Mix well and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Then add the finely chopped tomatoes. Mix very well and sauté for a minute.
Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon cumin powder. Mix very well.
Saute the masala till the tomatoes soften and become mushy.
Add the chopped mushrooms. Also add salt as per taste.
Mix very well. Begin to saute the mushrooms on a low to medium flame.
First the mushrooms would release water.
Continue to saute till the water dries up and the mushrooms are cooked. Then add the sautéed onion squares. Mix very well.
Next add ½ teaspoon garam masala powder, 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and 1 to 2 green chilies (slit or sliced).
Mix very well and then switch off the flame.
Serve mushroom do pyaza hot or warm with chapatis or parathas. You can also serve it with bread or pav. While serving garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- You can add the spice powders less or more as per your preference.
- This mushroom do pyaza recipe can be doubled.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 97mg | Potassium: 641mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 815IU | Vitamin C: 22.4mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.4mg