red sauce pasta
delicious red sauce pasta in a red tangy tomato sauce with mix veggies.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
for cooking pasta
- 1 cup pasta macaroni OR 100 grams pasta
- 2.5 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon oil
veggies for red sauce pasta
- 1 cup mixed veggies
- ⅓ cup boiled steamed corn kernels
- 1.25 cups chopped white button mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped capsicum (shimla mirch or green bell pepper)
other ingredients for red sauce pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can use butter or any other oil instead of olive oil)
- 1 small to medium tej patta or bay leaf
- 4 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun) - finely chopped
- 60 grams onions OR 1 medium onion OR ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 220 grams tomatoes OR 2 large tomatoes OR 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) or add as required
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon red wine or white wine (optional)
- 2 to 3 basil leaves - chopped
- ¼ cup grated cheese for garnish (optional)
cooking veggies for red sauce pasta recipe
firstly steam or cook 1 cup mix chopped veggies till they are cooked and tender. they should not be over cooked. you can steam or cook them in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle or steam in a steamer pan.
for the veggies i have used a mix of cauliflower florets, carrots and potatoes. i have also added some sweet corn (⅓ cup). you can also add some green peas instead of sweet corn or a mix of both.
heat 2.5 cups water, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon oil in a pan till the water comes to a boil.
then add 100 grams or 1 cup of the pasta.
on a medium to high flame cook till the pasta is cooked well.
then in a colander or strainer, strain the pasta and keep aside.
making sauce for red sauce pasta
in a food chopper, food processor or in a mixer or blender, crush 2 large tomatoes (220 grams) to a puree. keep aside. no need to blanch the tomatoes.
heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan or wok or kadai. add 1 small to medium tej patta and 4 small to medium garlic cloves (finely chopped). saute for some seconds till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. no need to brown the garlic.
add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and begin to saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
saute till the onions turn translucent.
then add tomato puree. if using ready store brought tomato puree, then add 1 cup tomato puree.
mix very well and begin to saute the mixture.
stir at intervals and saute till you see the oil leaving the sides and the sauce has thickened a bit. this means that the tomato puree has cooked.
then add 1.25 cups chopped mushrooms.
mix very well and saute for 6 to 7 minutes on a low to medium flame.
next add ⅓ cup chopped capsicum. mix well.
saute the capsicum for 4 to 5 minutes on a low to medium flame. by now the capsicum will be half cooked and the mushrooms will be cooked.
add ½ teaspoon sugar or as required.
then add ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder & ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder.
next add salt as per taste. mix very well. if using white or red wine, then you can add at this stage. add 1 tablespoon white or red wine.
making red sauce pasta
add the steamed veggies and ⅓ cup boiled sweet corn kernels.
then add the cooked pasta.
gently toss and mix everything very well, so that the red sauce coats the pasta as well as the veggies. at this step you can also add some grated cheese or cream and mix.
lastly switch off the flame. add 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves. mix well.
serve red sauce pasta hot or warm or cold. this pasta tastes good even when served at room temperature. you can garnish red sauce pasta with some grated cheese while serving.
tips for making pasta in red sauce
- for the pasta, you can use semolina or whole wheat pasta.
- also you can use spaghetti, penne, fusilli, farfalle or shell pasta.
- add veggies of your choice or skip them if you want.
- fresh or dried herbs of your choice can be added.
- use dried basil, if you do not have fresh basil leaves.
- please use tomatoes which are ripe, red and less tangy.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 826mg | Potassium: 441mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2890IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1.2mg