Bisi Bele Bath Powder
Bisi bele bath masala powder is a homemade spice blend to make bisi bele bath.
Prep Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 1 medium bottle
- ½ cup Coriander seeds
- ¼ cup Chana dal (husked and split bengal gram)
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal (husked and split black gram)
- 10 to 12 Byadagi or bedgi red chilies - less hot dry red chilies
- 5 to 7 Guntur red chilies - hot dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Whole black pepper
- 3 Green cardamom
- 1.5 inch Cinnamon
- 3 to 4 Cloves
- 4 Marathi moggu (kapok buds)
- 4 tablespoon Unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds (khus khus)
- ½ Of a whole mace OR 1 small mace (javitri)
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 12 to 14 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing) - optional
Heat a frying pan or a small kadai and first dry roast the coriander, cumin and fenugreek until they are crisp and fragrant. Roast on a slow flame and make sure you don't burn the spices. Remove and keep aside in a plate or tray.
In the same pan, now dry roast the cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, mace and marathi moggu till become aromatic. Remove and keep aside in the same plate and tray.
Now add chana dal and urad dal. These take a longer to roast than the spices.
Roast them till you get a nice lentil aroma and the lentils have become browned. Keep aside.
Now dry roast the dry red chilies till they become crisp.
Dry roast the curry leaves till they crisp.
Now roast the poppy seeds till they become light golden.
Dry roast the asafoetida if you plan to add it in the masala powder.
Lastly roast the dessicated coconut till the flakes become golden.
Now let the roasted spices cool. Mix all the spices very well. Break the red chilies in small pieces. Deseed them if you prefer.
Add the ingredients in batches in a dry grinder or coffee grinder.
Grind to a fine powder. Remove from the jar and store the bisi bele bath powder in an air-tight jar or container. Keep the bisi bele bath powder jar in the refrigerator.
Use the bisi bele bath masala powder as required.