Navratan korma is a rich aromatic vegetable curry made with nine ingredients.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 5 to 6
- 2 medium carrots - peeled and chopped or 70 grams carrots or about ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup shelled peas or frozen peas
- 1 large potato or 2 medium potato or ¾ cup chopped potatoes or 150 grams potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped green beans or 40 to 50 grams beans or 10 to 12 beans
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower (gobi florets) - optional
- 8 to 9 babycorn - chopped (optional)
- 2 medium sized onions sliced or ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 to 3 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste or 5 to 6 garlic and ¾ inch ginger - crushed to a a paste in mortar-pestle
- ½ cup fresh curd (yogurt) or 100 grams curd
- ⅓ cup fresh low fat cream or 3 to 4 tablespoon whipping cream
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup water or add as required
- salt as required
for the royal paste
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 10 to 12 almonds
- 10 to 12 cashews
- 1 tablespoon melon seeds (magaz)
- ¼ cup water for grinding to a paste or add as required
whole garam masala for navratan korma
- 2 to 3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 single strands of mace
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 6 to 7 almonds - blanched and peeled
- 10 pistachois
- 10 cashewnuts
- 10 walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- ½ cup chopped pineapple or 2 to 3 pineapple slices - chopped
- ½ tablespoon melon seeds
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- a pinch of saffron strands
- 2 teaspoon ginger julienne
Soak all the dry fruits and seeds in hot water for 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove the peels from the almonds and add the peeled almonds in a grinder jar.
Then drain the remaining nuts-seeds mixture and also add them to the grinder jar.
Add 1/4 cup water and grind to a smooth fine paste. Add more water if required while making the paste. Keep this paste aside.
making navratan korma
Heat ghee in a handi or a deep pan. Add all the whole garam masala mentioned above and fry till they crackle and become aromatic.
Add the sliced onions and saute them till they turn golden
Now add the ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies. Saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Now add the nuts-seeds paste and curd. Stir well.
Then add turmeric and red chili powder. Stir again.
Stir and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. Do stir often so that the mixture does not get stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Then add the mixed veggies. Stir.
Next add 1 cup water. Season with salt. Mix very well.
Cover and simmer the veggies till they are cooked.
Once the veggies are cooked, add the cream and stir it with the rest of the korma, switch off the flame.
Sprinkle garam masala powder. Cover and keep aside.
garnishing navratan korma
Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a small frying pan. Add 6 to 7 blanched almonds (you can soak these almonds when soaking the nuts for the paste).
Saute almonds till they turn a pale golden.
Take them to one side of the pan and now add 10 pistachios, 10 cashews, 10 walnut halves. Saute till the cashews turn a light golden.
Now add 1 tbsp raisins & ½ tbsp melon seeds. Saute for some seconds.
Then add ½ cup chopped pineapple cubes. Saute for a minute.
Next add 1 tbsp mint leaves, a pinch of saffron strands and 2 tsp ginger julienne.
Saute for half a minute.
- If you do not have melon seeds, still you can make the korma with the rest of the ingredients. Just increase 1 tbsp of almonds and 1 tbsp of cashew.
- Always soak the poppy seeds before blending. Or else they take a lot of time to be ground finely.
- Adding pineapple is optional. So don’t add pineapple if you do not like a sweet taste in a creamy dish.
- You can also add paneer in it.
- You can choose your choice of mixed veggies or you can also choose to make navratan korma with a mix of 9 different veggies.