malai kofta is a popular paneer dish. potato and paneer kofta in a creamy, rich, mild and lightly sweet gravy.
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 3 to 4 servings
for making paneer kofta
- 100 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - grated
- 2 medium size potatoes (aloo) - boiled, peeled and grated
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornflour (corn starch)
- ⅛ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon almond flour OR 1 tablespoon milk powder OR 1 tablespoon khoya (mawa or dried evaporated milk solids)
- salt as required
- oil for frying paneer koftas
for making malai kofta gravy
- ½ cup onion paste OR about 2 medium to large onions, pureed
- 1 cup tomato puree OR about 2 large tomatoes pureed
- ¼ cup cashew paste OR 12 to 15 cashews soaked in warm water for 30 minutes and then blended to a smooth paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) + 4 to 5 garlic cloves (lahsun) - made in to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- salt as required
- sugar as required (optional)
- oil for shallow or deep frying the koftas
whole spices for malai kofta
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 or 2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 to 3 green cardamom (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 single strands of mace OR a light pinch of mace powder (jayitri)
- 2 to 3 cloves (laung)
- 1 tablespoon grated paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 or 2 tablespoon cream
- a few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta or cilantro leaves)
making paneer kofta for malai kofta
mix all the ingredients mentioned under "for making paneer kofta" ingredient list except oil in a bowl.
make medium sized balls and fry the paneer koftas in medium hot oil till golden.
keep the fried kofta aside.
making malai kofta
remove extra oil from the same pan and keep about 1 or 1.5 tbsp oil.
add all the whole spices and fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
first add the onion paste and brown it.
now add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds till the raw aroma of the paste goes away.
add the tomato puree and saute for 2-3 minutes.
add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and cashew paste.
stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala paste. add water and stir.
simmer till the gravy begins to thicken. takes approx 11-12 minutes on a low flame.
towards the end add crushed kasuri methi leaves and salt.
you can also add sugar if you want a light sweet taste in the curry. simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
serving malai kofta
lastly add the fried paneer kofta. if serving malai kofta later, you can just prepare the gravy and add kofta while serving. these paneer kofta are really soft. so if you add them before and serve them later, they will break.
while serving, garnish the malai kofta with some cream, grated paneer and coriander leaves.
serve malai kofta hot with rotis, naan, steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 1624mg | Potassium: 1116mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Vitamin C: 30.9mg | Calcium: 273mg | Iron: 7mg