kachchhi dabeli or kutchi dabeli is a mumbai street food also popular in gujarat.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 5 to 6 portions
for the dabeli masala
- 1 dry red chili (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or coriander powder (sabut dhania or dhania powder)
- ½ inch stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
for the red garlic chutney
- 1 to 2 red chilies - soaked in warm water for 30-40 minutes
- ½ cup garlic (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
potato filling for dabeli
- 3 medium sized potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dabeli masala
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 2 tablespoon tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves or dhania patta)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon water (optional)
for serving dabeli
- 4 to 5 buns or pav sliced and lightly roasted in some butter or oil
- ½ cup roasted peanuts (bhuni moongphali)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup nylon sev
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- garlic chutney as required
- sweet tamarind dates chutney as required
making dabeli masala powder
dry roast the red chili, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds.
add all the ingredients in a dry grinder.
grind to a fine powder. keep aside.
preparing the red garlic chutney
in a wet grinder or blender, grind the soaked red chilies, garlic, lemon juice and salt to a smooth paste.
add water if required. keep aside.
making potato stuffing for dabeli
boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker or microwave oven.
peel and mash them and keep aside.
in a pan or kadai, heat oil. add cumin.
then add chopped onion and fry the onions till they become soft.
add asafoetida/hing and fry for a minute on a low flame.
add the sweet tamarind dates chutney to the onions and mix well.
add the mashed potatoes and again mix well.
add the dabeli masala powder to the mashed potatoes. mix well and add salt.
cook for 2-3 minutes stirring the mixture.
if the mixture looks a little dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water.
when done, spread the potato filling on a plate.
sprinkle some grated coconut on the potato filling.
add some chopped coriander on top.
now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both.
keep the potato stuffing aside.
assemble all the ingredients mentioned under serving in one place.
apply the sweet chutney on one slice of the bun and the red garlic chutney on the other side.
take a slice of the potato filling and put it on top of one of the slices of bread.
add some chopped onion and coriander leaves
top it up with some roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
sprinkle some dabeli masala also. lastly top it with sev.
cover with the other slice of bread.
prepare the remaining dabeli pav in the same way and serve dabeli warm.
- instead of the red garlic chutney you can also use mint coriander chutney.
- dabeli masala powder is easily available in the indian metros. so you could use ready dabeli masala.
- other variation is to add pav bhaji masala instead of dabeli masala. the dabeli will still taste good.
- lastly to add more spice, add spiced or masala peanuts instead of plain peanuts.