Mysore Masala Dosa
mysore masala dosa is crisp and soft dosa spiced with red chutney and served with a potato dish, along with coconut chutney
Prep Time9 hrs
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time9 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 8 to 10 dosas
ingredients for the dosa batter
- 2 cups regular rice
- ½ cup urad dal (skinned and split black gram)
- ½ cup cooked rice or poha (flattened rice)
- ¼ teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- rock salt (sendha namak) or sea salt as required
- water as required for grinding the batter
ingredients for the potato palya/filling
- 2 large potatoes - boiled
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic (lahsun) - optional
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 green chili - chopped
- ½ or ⅔ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ or ⅔ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch red chili powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ or ½ cup water
- 1 or 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
ingredients for the red chutney
- 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 4 to 5 garlic
- 2 to 4 dry red chilies - soaked in warm water for 30 to 40 minutes. adjust as per your taste preferences and depending on the type of chilies. for a hotter version add 3 to 4 dry red chilies.
- 1 teaspoon seedlees tamarind
- ¼ cup onion - roughly chopped
- salt as required
- some water to grind the chutney
making dosa batter
pick and rinse the rice and urad dal in water for 3-4 times.
soak the rice, urad dal and methi seeds in a large bowl in enough water for 4-5 hours.
in a wet grinder, grind the rice, urad dal, methi seeds and cooked rice or poha with enough water.
grind till you get a fluffy and smooth consistency of the batter.
take the dosa batter in a large bowl and mix salt.
cover the bowl loosely and let the batter ferment for 7-9 hours.
preparing the potato palya or filling
first boil the potatoes in a steamer or pressure cooker, till they are fully cooked.
peel and either just crumble them with your hands or chop them.
heat oil in a pan or kadai.
first fry the mustard seeds till they splutter.
now add the chopped onions and saute till they become soft.
add the ginger, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves and saute for some 20-30 seconds.
now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and asafoetida.
stir for 2-3 seconds and add the potatoes.
stir and add water plus salt.
cover and simmer the potatoes till the water dries up.
lastly add the lemon juice and stir well.
add coriander leaves and mix well with the potatoes.
keep the potato palya aside.
making red chutney for dosa
making mysore masala dosa
on a tava or a flat frying pan spread 1 or 2 tsp oil. if using non stick pan, then don’t spread oil. you won’t be able to spread the dosa batter then.
take a medium sized ladle or a big spoon and with circular motions spread the dosa from the center towards the edges on the pan.
sprinkle some drops of oil from the top.
cover the dosa with a lid.
let the base get browned and the top side get cooked completely.
spread 1 or 2 tsp of the red chili chutney on top of the dosa.
place 2-3 tbsp of the potato stir fry on top of the mysore masala dosa and spread lightly.
fold and serve the mysore masala dosa hot with coconut chutney