kadai mushroom gravy
in this delicious kadai mushroom gravy recipe, white button mushrooms are cooked in a spiced (masaledar) onion-tomato based gravy.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 3 to 4
to be ground to a paste
- 135 grams onions OR 2 medium to large onions OR 1 cup heaped roughly chopped onions
- ½ inch ginger OR 2 to 2.5 grams ginger OR 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 5 to 6 garlic OR 4 grams garlic OR 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 250 grams tomatoes OR 3 medium to large tomatoes OR 1.5 cup chopped tomatoes
whole spices for kadai masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 6 to 7 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 4 to 5 dry red chilies or kashmiri red chilies
for making kadai mushroom gravy
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tej patta ( indian bay leaf)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or deghi mirch or kashmiri red chili powder
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms - chopped or sliced
- 90 to 100 grams capsicum OR 1 medium to large capsicum or 1 cup thinly sliced capsicum (shimla mirch or green bell pepper)
- ¾ to 1 cup water or add as required
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ inch ginger - julienne
- 2 tablespoon cream (optional)
- salt as required
making kadai masala
heat a pan or kadai. take all the whole spices mentioned under the "whole spices for kadai masala' list in the pan.
dry roast all the whole spices on a low flame till they become aromatic. stir them often while roasting.
once the spices cool down, add them to a grinder jar or a spice or coffee grinder. grind to a fine powder.
remove in a plate and keep the kadai masala aside.
preparing onion and tomato paste
in the same grinder jar, add 1 cup heaped roughly chopped onions. grind to a smooth paste. remove and keep the onion paste in a bowl.
to the same jar, now add 1.5 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp chopped garlic.
grind to a smooth paste. keep aside.
making kadai mushroom gravy
heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or wok. add 1 tej patta and saute for two to three seconds.
add the ground onion paste. saute stirring at intervals, till the onion paste becomes golden. for a quick cooking of the onion paste, add a pinch of salt.
once the onion paste turns golden, then add the tomato paste.
saute the tomato paste till you see oil specks on top or leaving the sides of the paste.
the masala will also thicken and leave the sides of the pan.
then add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp red chili powder or deghi mirch or kashmiri red chili powder. mix very well.
add sliced or chopped mushrooms.
mix the mushrooms very well with the masala and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame.
add the ground kadai masala along with salt.
add 3/4 to 1 cup water. mix again very well.
cover the kadai or pan with a lid and simmer on a low to medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes.
then add 1 cup thinly sliced capsicum.
simmer without a lid, till the capsicum is half cooked and still have their crunch. cook for about 6 to 7 minutes. you can also cook for some more time if you want.
then add 1/2 to 1 tsp kasuri methi (crushed). at this step you can also add 2 to 3 tbsp cream, if you prefer.
lastly add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp ginger julienne.
stir and then serve kadai mushroom gravy hot with chapatis, tandoori rotis, naan or bread. you can also serve with steamed rice or jeera rice or matar pulao.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2320IU | Vitamin C: 141.7mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2.2mg