kerala veg biryani
kerala veg biryani recipe : delicately spiced and fragrant mild vegetable biryani made with coconut milk.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 to 5
for the rice
- 2 cups rice soaked in 4 cups water
- ¼ or ½ cup chopped cashews (kaju)
- 2 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¼ cup raisins (kishmish)
- ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- 4 to 5 tablespoon oil
- a pinch of saffron in dissolved 1.5 tablespoon water OR yellow food coloring. a pinch of turmeric dissolved in water can also be used.
- salt as required
for the vegetable gravy for kerala biryani
- 2 cups chopped veggies - i used small aubergines (baingan), potato, carrots and peas
- 1.5 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 7 to 8 cloves (lavang)
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 2 green chilies - chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ or 1 tablespoon lemon juice OR ¼ cup curd (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves
- salt as required
preparation for veg kerala biryani
first soak the rice for 30 minutes and then cook till its 3/4th done.
heat oil and add 1/2 cup sliced onions
fry till the onions become transparent.
add the cashews, raisins and curry leaves.
fry till the whole mixture turns golden. don't burn.
remove and add the fried onions, cashews, raisins and curry leaves to the cooked rice.
making vegetable gravy for kerala biryani
in another pan, add this leftover oil. add more oil if required. heat it.
add the whole spices - cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom.
fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
now add the onions and fry till light golden.
add the ginger-garlic paste and green chilies. fry for a minute.
add the dry spice powders and fry some seconds.
add the vegetables. saute for a minute.
add the coconut milk. stir and then add water along with lemon juice.
if using yogurt, then add at this stage. stir well.
add water. cover the pan and let the veggies cook. the curry would reduce a bit.
once the vegetables are cooked we can start layering the biryani
layering and making kerala biryani
grease a oven proof bowl or pan with oil.
layer the vegetable gravy first. then layer the rice.
spread the chopped mint & coriander leaves on top.
sprinkle the saffron water. dot with some oil.
spread another layer of the veg gravy.
now spread the fourth layer of rice.
sprinkle the chopped mint & coriander leaves and saffron water.
dot with some oil again. cover with an aluminium foil.
bake kerala biryani in a preheated oven for 200 degrees C at 25-30 minutes.
you can also cook the layered biryani in a tightly covered pan on stove top for 25 to 30 minutes.
serve veg kerala biryani hot or warm with raita or kuchumber