vegan carrot halwa
this vegan carrot halwa is a classic indian pudding made with grated carrots, almond milk, sugar and dry fruits.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 medium dessert bowls
- 2.5 cups grated carrots
- 2.5 cups almond milk
- 8 tablespoons regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar - add more or less as required
- ¼ or ⅓ cup almond paste (optional)
- 5 to 6 green cardamom - powdered or crushed
- 8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews
- 7 to 8 unsalted pistachois - sliced or chopped
- 12 to 15 golden raisins
- a pinch of saffron - optional
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil or sunflower oil
wash, peel and grate the carrots.
mix the almond milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
after 15-20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir.
when the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & oil.
stir and continue to cook.
when the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits.
stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes. serve vegan carrot halwa hot or warm.
it can be also refrigerated and served cold. this vegan carrot halwa stays good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.