mushroom and peas curry recipe
rich and delicious mushroom & peas curry made with a coconut-cashew base along with rest of indian spices.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 200 to 250 grams mushrooms
- 1 cup shelled or frozen peas (matar)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) and 3 garlic (lahsun) - crushed or made into a paste
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato - chopped
- ½ cup grated coconut and 7-8 cashews ground to paste
- ¾ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania power)
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (split and skinned black gram)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves OR about 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tablespoon oil for the curry and 1 tablespoon oil for sauting the mushrooms.
- 2 to 2.5 cups stock or water or both
- salt as required
boil the peas. strain and keep aside. reserve the stock if using fresh peas.
heat 1 tbsp oil. saute mushrooms in the oil for 5-6 minutes and then keep aside.
in another pan, add 2 tbsp oil. add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
then add the cumin, fenugreek and urad dal.
fry till they the oil becomes aromatic and the dal gets browned. don't over brown or burn the dal. do this tempering on a low or medium flame.
now add chopped onions. fry the onions till light brown,
add the ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic.
fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic goes away.
now add all the dry spice powders - coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
stir and then add chopped tomatoes. fry this whole mixture till oil starts to leave the sides.
add the cashew-coconut paste along with curry leaves.
stir for 2-3 minutes. add the stock which we reserved or add water about 2 to 2.5 cups.
let the curry come to a boil. now add the mushrooms and peas.
add salt, stir and let the mushroom peas curry simmer for 5-6 minutes more.
serve mushroom peas curry hot, garnished with some coriander leaves.