aloo pakora or potato bajji are crisp potato fritters which are deep fried.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 medium to large potato (aloo)
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ garam masala powder
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ⅔ to ¾ cup water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder for sprinkling on the pakoras
- 1 pinch baking soda, optional
- salt as required
making aloo pakora batter
in a bowl take all the dry ingredients – besan, rice flour, carom seeds, red chili powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida (hing), baking soda (optional) and salt as required.
mix well all the dry ingredients with water.
check the seasoning and add more if required.
peel and slice the potatoes thinly in rounds.
making aloo pakora
heat oil for frying in a kadai or pan.
dip each potato slice in the batter and place it gently in hot oil.
do these for some 5-6 potato slices each time.
fry aloo pakora till golden and crisp.
drain the pakora on paper towels to remove excess oil.
finish off the remaining aloo pakora this way in batches.
serve aloo pakora hot sprinkled with some chaat masala powder.
you can also serve aloo pakora with chutney or tomato sauce accompanied with slices of bread or buns.
- if you have gluten intolerance, then avoid adding asafeotida (hing) in the batter as the ground ones have traces of wheat.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 853mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 8.1mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 3.8mg