christmas wine fruit cake
eggless christmas wine fruit cake is an easy and delicious recipe to make a moist and soft eggless wine fruit cake.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ¼ cup almonds (badam)
- ¼ cup cashews (kaju)
- 5 to 6 glazed red cherries
- 1 tablespoon tutti frutti
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied orange peel
- ¼ cup golden raisins (kishmish)
- ¼ cup sultanas (optional)
- 4 to 5 halved walnuts - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger (optional)
for christmas wine fruit cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar or brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon curd dissolved in 1 tablespoon water (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs - optional
preparation to make christmas wine fruit cake
first chop the dates, almonds, cashews, walnuts, glazed cherries, candied orange peels, candied ginger.
in a bowl or jar soak the chopped dry fruits as well the tutti frutti, raisins and sultanas in red wine.
cover & keep this bowl or jar in a cool dry place. for 3 days i kept the bowl out and then for the remaining days i kept in the fridge. every alternate day shake the jar or stir the bowl.
making wine fruit cake
sieve the all purpose flour/maida with salt, baking soda and baking powder. add cinnamon powder, grated nutmeg and instant coffee. mix well.
stir 1 tbsp water in 2 tbsp yogurt till smooth.
now add the soaked dry fruits mixture, cacao nibs, brown sugar, yogurt+water mixture, oil, milk and vanilla essence.
fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
pour the batter in a greased or butter paper lined cake pan of 6 to 7 inches diameter.
bake the eggless christmas wine fruit cake in a preheated oven for 200 degree C for about 50 mins to 1 hour or till a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
keep the cake in the middle rack with both the top and bottom heating elements of the oven on.
if the top of the cake gets to brown quickly, then cover the top with aluminium foil or butter paper.
when the wine fruit cake is still warm, remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
when the cake is completely cooled, wrap the cake in an aluminium foil or cling film and allow the christmas wine fruit cake to mature for 2-3 days before serving.
the cake can be easily kept at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- for vegan substitutions, use soy yogurt or cashew yogurt. use soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk instead of dairy milk.
- you can also use apple juice instead of wine and soak the dry fruit for a day or two in the apple juice.