veg masala toast sandwich
veg masala toast sandwich recipe - a street food from mumbai
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for the potato filling
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small green chilli – finely chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) - optional
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed (aloo)
- a few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
for the green chutney
- ¾ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped (hari mirch)
- black salt as required
- ¼ cup water to grind the chutney or add water as required
- few drops of lemon juice
other ingredients for veg masala toast sandwich:
- 10 to 12 slices of bread – brown or white or whole wheat bread
- 1 medium sized onion - sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized tomato - sliced thinly
- 1 small capsicum - sliced thinly (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 small or medium sized cucumber - sliced thinly (kheera)
- butter or olive oil as required
- sandwich masala or chaat masala as required
making potato filling for veggie toast sandwiches
in a pan, heat some oil. add mustard seeds. let them splutter.
add cumin seeds and brown them. then add onions. fry the onions till transparent.
now add the tomatoes. fry the tomatoes till they become soft and are cooked.
add the chopped green chilli. add all the spice powders mentioned above.
mix them well. now add the mashed potatoes.
add salt. mix the stuffing really well.
keep on stirring on a low flame so that the mixture does not stick to the pan.
cook for 3 to 4 minutes. sprinkle some coriander leaves on the potato filling.
cover and let the filling cool before you start using it in the sandwiches.
grind the ingredients for the green chutney with little water to a smooth paste. keep aside.
making veg masala toast sandwich
trim the edges of the bread.
apply butter or olive oil evenly on the bread.
now apply the green chutney on the bread.
take 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato stuffing and spread it on this bread. sprinkle some chaat or sandwich masala over it.
keep 2 to 3 slices of onion, tomato, cucumber and capsicum on the potato stuffing.
sprinkle some sandwich masala or chat masala again.
sprinkle some black salt also.
now cover this stuffed bread slice with another slice of bread, to which both butter and chutney has been applied.
in a sandwich toaster or grill, toast or grill the sandwich till browned from both sides.
remove and apply some butter or olive oil on top of the sandwich.
make all veggie toast sandwiches this way.
sprinkle some sev (fried gram flour fine vermicelli) on the sandwiches.
serve the veg masala toast sandwich hot with the green chutney and tomato ketchup.