Aloo posto is a traditional bengali recipe of potatoes in a lightly spiced poppy seeds paste.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
For posto paste
- 3 tablespoons White poppy seeds (khus khus)
- ¼ cup Water for soaking
- 1 tablespoon Water for grinding
- 1 Green chilli - roughly chopped
- 300 grams Potatoes OR 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Mustard oil
- ½ teaspoon Nigella seeds (kalonji)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder - optional
- 2 Green chilies - whole with their crowns removed
- Salt as required
- ½ to ⅔ cup Water Or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar (optional)
making poppy seeds paste
Soak 3 tablespoons poppy seeds in 1/4 cup water. I usually soak the poppy seeds overnight, so that the grinding is easier. Otherwise they don't grind well. If you forget the soaking, then soak atleast for a couple of hours in warm water.
After overnight soaking, use a fine mesh strainer and drain all the water.
Add the poppy seeds in a small chutney grinder.
Add 1 green chili and 1 tablespoon water.
Grind to a fine paste. Add more water if required while grinding.
making aloo posto
Next rinse, peel and chop 2 large potatoes (300 grams potatoes).
Heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a pan or kadai and let it smoke on a medium flame.
Lower the flame and add 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji).
Stir and saute the nigella seeds for a few seconds.
Add the chopped potatoes.
Mix very well with oil and nigella seeds.
On a low flame saute the potatoes, stirring at times, till they are half done or they become faint golden from the edges.
Then sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi all over the potatoes. Turmeric powder is optional and you can skip it.
Mix very well.
Add the poppy seeds paste and two whole green chilies. Scrape of all the poppy seeds paste from the grinder jar and add. You can even rinse the jar with some water and then add the water in the pan.
cooking aloo posto
Now add 1/2 to 2/3 cup water. The amount of water required depends on the consistency you want. Usually aloo posto has a dry to semi-dry consistency, but for a gravy consistency you can add some more water.
Stir very well.
Season with salt and mix well. You can also add sugar if you want.
Cover the pan with a lid and on a low flame simmer till all the water dries up and the potatoes are cooked. The poppy seeds paste will also cook by then. Do not overcook the potatoes. Do check a couple of times when the potatoes are cooking.
The consistency should be dry and there should be no water in the pan. The poppy seeds paste will also coat the potatoes.
While serving you can place some fresh green chilies if you want as a garnish or serve aloo posto plain with some steamed rice.
- Add water as required.
- Green chili can be skipped while preparing the aloo posto paste.
- Addition of turmeric powder is optional.
- Use poppy seeds which are in their shelf period.
- You can also add a bit of sugar for a slight sweet taste.
- Red chilli powder can also be added.