chilli cheese sandwich
mumbai chilli cheese toast sandwich recipe - tasty toast sandwiches made with cheese, green chilies, green chutney and spices+herbs.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for green chutney
- ½ cup tightly packed coriander leaves OR ¼ cup EACH of mint leaves and coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as required
- 1 green chili or add as required
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoon of water for grinding (optional)
other ingredients for chilli cheese toast
- ½ cup grated cheese - can use processed cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped capsicum (shimla mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala or add as required
- pinch of black salt (optional)
- 8 to 10 bread slices - whole wheat bread or multi grain bread or white bread
- salted butter as required
for making green chutney
rinse the coriander leaves very well in water.
then add all the ingredients mentioned under the list 'for green chutney' in a grinder or small blender.
do not add any water and grind to a smooth consistency. if required you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water.
remove the green chutney in a bowl. cover and keep aside.
making chilli cheese toast sandwich
grate cheese in a bowl or a plate. you will need ½ cup grated cheese.
add 1 to 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped green chillies, 2 tablespoons finely chopped capsicum and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
then add ½ teaspoon chaat masala and a pinch of black salt (optional).
mix very well with a spoon. keep aside.
spread salted butter on all the bread slices. cover the whole surface with the butter.
you can slice of the edges if you want.
spread green chutney as required. i have mentioned the recipe to prepare green chutney in the recipe card.
now place the cheese mixture evenly on the bread slices.
cover the cheese topped slices with the remaining buttered slices.
in a pre heated sandwich maker, place the sandwich carefully.
spread some butter on the top of the sandwiches. do not press the top cover of the sandwich maker too much.
toast for 2 to 3 minutes or till the sandwiches are crisp and golden. remove in a plate.
spread some butter on the side where we did not apply butter first. this step is optional and you can skip it.
serve chilli cheese toast sandwich with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
tips for making chilli cheese toast
- you can skip capsicum (green bell pepper) if you want.
- some onions can also be added to the cheese stuffing.
- i have here used whole wheat bread. you can use multi grain bread, white bread, ragi bread or brown bread.