crispy and delicious beetroot cutlet made with beets, potatoes, semolina and spices.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 10 beetroot cutlets
- 250 grams beetroot or 2 medium-sized beets
- 275 grams potatoes OR 3 medium sized potatoes or 2 large potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black salt or rock salt - add more if required
- 1 teaspoon ground or minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or rice flour or 2 brown bread slices or white bread - soaked in water and squeezed
- ½ cup rava or sooji (cream of wheat)
- 2 tablespoons oil for pan frying
in a pan or pressure cooker, boil both the beetroot and potatoes together with some salt and enough water for 7 to 8 whistles on medium flame.
drain all the water. then peel and grate the beetroot in a bowl.
grate the potato in the same bowl. this is done to get a even smooth mashed potato mix.
add all the spice powders, green chili, salt and corn starch. instead of corn starch you can also add rice flour or soaked bread slices.
mix everything well with your hands. now shape them into round patties or tikkis.
making beetroot cutlet
take some roasted semolina (rava) in a plate.
place each cutlet on the semolina and ensure that they are evenly coated on all sides by the semolina.
dust off the extra rava.
in a pan add some 2 tablespoons oil and fry the cutlets till they are crisp and golden.
place the fried cutlets on kitchen paper towels for extra oil to be absorbed.
serve beetroot cutlet hot with any chutney or dip or sauce of your choice.
- do check the salt in the mixture before coating and frying the tikkis or cutlets.
- if the beetroot tikki do not hold shape then add more corn starch or rice flour or one more slice of bread to the mashed beetroot mixture.
- you can also bake the beetroot tikki in the oven instead of pan frying them. for baking preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for about 10 minutes and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till the beetroot tikkis are done.