this whole wheat pita bread is soft, moist, light and has their trademark pockets.
Prep Time1 hr 30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time2 hrs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.25 cup warm water
- ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
in a small bowl add 1/2 cup of the warm water. sprinkle a pinch of sugar. then and the yeast and stir.
keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature.
in a large bowl mix the rest of the warm water with flour, salt and olive oil with a wooden spoon.
after the yeast has frothed, add the yeast mixture and knead into a soft, smooth dough.
keep the dough moist and soft as well as smooth and springy.
place the dough into a greased container or in the same bowl with some olive oil applied all over the dough.
cover with a kitchen napkin and keep at room temperature for 1 to 1.5 hours.
preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. once the dough has doubled up, then remove the dough from the bowl.
put the dough on your working surface & deflate the dough gently. make medium sized balls from the dough.
dust the working surface with flour and roll each ball into round circles of about 6 inch about 1/4 inch thick.
cover the circles with the kitchen towel loosely and let them rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
baking pita bread in the oven
now place them on a greased tray and bake at 200 degrees Celsius (the 200 degrees celsius is for baking in a convection mode of a microwave oven. if using a regular oven, then preheat as well as bake for 250 degrees Celsius/482 Fahrenheit) for 7 to 10 minutes or till puffed up and light brown.
bake all the pita bread this way.
making pita bread on stove top
heat a non-stick frying pan or tava or griddle.
place the bread on the griddle and cover for 2-3 minutes till the bread starts puffing up.
flip the bread the other side and cook for more 2 to 3 minutes.
serving pita bread
stack the pita bread and store them in a kitchen towel or bread box.
you can also serve pita bread warm.
just slice the pita bread into two. you will see the pockets.
stuff the pockets with a filling of your choice and your pita sandwich is ready.
tips for making pita bread
- if the dough becomes too sticky then add some more flour.
- remember to proof the yeast in warm water. less warm water or hot water will not yield good results.
- you can also knead the dough in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- you can double as well as triple this pita bread recipe.
- like all my bakes, i have baked the pita bread in a microwave oven in the convection/baking mode. since the recipe is lightly adapted, the pita bread should fluff well in a regular oven too if the yeast proofing and leavening of the bread is done well.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 702mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 7g | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2.6mg