palak chole or chana palak is a north indian style delicious curry made with spinach, chana (white chickpeas), onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time53 mins
main ingredients for palak chole
- 4.5 or 5 cups chopped spinach or palak
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas (chole or kabuli chana or safed chana)
- 1 large tomato - pureed
- 1.5 to 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoon oil
- ¾ teaspoon pomegranate seed - dry roasted and crushed OR ½ to ¾ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi - crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- salt as required - for boiling chole and for the gravy
to be ground to paste
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (garlic), chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak), chopped, optional
whole spices for palak chana
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 2 green cardamom (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
spice powders for palak chole
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or chana masala powder or garam masala powder
preparation for palak chole recipe
soak the dried white chana (chole) overnight or for 7 to 8 hours.
drain and add chole (chickpeas) with 3 to 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker. sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt or as required.
pressure cook the chole till they are cooked completely. you can also cook the chickpeas in a pot or pan.
meanwhile, prepare the onion paste with green chilies, ginger and garlic. also prepare the tomato puree. keep aside.
rinse palak (spinach leaves) very well in water. then chop them. also drain the cooked chole and keep aside.
making palak chole
in a pan heat oil. fry all whole spices till fragrant.
add the onion paste. saute till light brown.
add the tomato puree and all the spice powders mentioned in the above list.
fry till oil leaves the sides of the masala and the masala is well browned.
now add the chopped palak and salt. stir and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
add the cooked chole and stir. pour 1.5 to 2 cups water.
add crushed pomegranate seeds powder or dry mango powder.
also mash a few chole with the back of the spoon. simmer till the palak chole gravy thickens and becomes smooth.
lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
serve palak chole hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice and onion-lemon salad