easy chole recipe
home style chana masala recipe - an easy and lightly spiced version of chana or chole or chickpea curry.
Prep Time8 hrs
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time8 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for pressure cooking chole (chickpeas)
- 1 cup chole (dry chickpeas or white chana) - soaked overnight
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly OR ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions OR 50 to 60 grams onions
- 2 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic (lahsun)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 5 to 6 cloves (lavang)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 3.5 cups water
- salt as required
- 1 medium onion finely chopped OR ⅓ cup finely chopped onion OR 50 to 60 grams onion
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped OR ¾ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 to 3 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon kashmir red chilli powder or deghi mirch or red chili powder
other ingredients for chole recipe
- 1 teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- a few chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- sliced onions
- lemon wedges
- green chilies
rinse the chickpeas well. soak in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours. drain the soaked chickpeas.
in a pressure cooker, take the chickpeas, sliced onions, black cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon tej patta, chopped garlic + ginger, cumin, carom seeds and salt.
pressure cook the chickpeas/chole for 20-25 minutes on a medium to high flame.
keep the chickpeas aside. no need to drain them.
making home style easy chole recipe
in another pan heat oil. add the chopped onions & saute them till translucent or light brown.
then add the tomatoes. saute till the tomatoes soften and till the oil start to leave the sides.
next add green chilies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder. mix very well.
add this sauted onion-tomatoes-green chili mixture to the cooked chole/chickpeas.
mix very well and simmer for 15-20 minutes or more till the gravy or curry becomes smooth and slightly thickens.
the consistency of this home style chole curry is not soupy or broth like.
mash a few chickpeas with the spoon to thicken the chickpea curry.
lastly add garam masala powder and dry mango powder (amchur powder).
chole should not be cooked too much after the addition of garam masala and dry mango powder. so add them at the very last once you get the smooth consistency in the chickpea curry, as cooking diminishes the flavor and taste of both.
check the taste of chana masala and add more salt, garam masala or dry mango powder if required.
serve chole masala hot with roti, rice, poori, naan or bhatura.
to spice the chole more, serve them with finely chopped onions, green chilli and lemon wedges.