vermicelli kheer also known as seviyan kheer or semiya kheer is often served during festival or any occasion of celebration.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 cloves - optional
- 1 cup seviyan (broken vermicelli or semiya)
for making vermicelli kheer
- 1 litre milk or 4 cups milk
- 7 to 8 tablespoons sugar - add more or less for your preferred sweetness
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon almond slivers or almond slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews - chopped (optional)
- 4 to 5 dried rose petals - optional
- 10 to 12 saffron strands - optional
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy kadai or pan. add 3 cloves. fry for 2 to 3 seconds.
add the broken seviyan or vermicelli.
stir and continuously roast seviyan on a low to medium-low flame.
roast till the seviyan strands turn golden brown.
making vermicelli kheer
reduce the flame to its lowest and slowly pour milk in the pan. mix very well.
simmer milk on a low to medium-low flame. stir ocassionally so that the milk or seviyan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
let the milk come to a boil. once the milk comes to a boil, then add 7 to 8 tablespoons sugar or as per taste.
mix very well so that all the sugar dissolves.
next add 10 to 12 saffron strands. mix and stir.
next add 1 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon chopped cashews. mix well.
then add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
also add 4 to 5 dried rose petals. this step is optional. skip if you do not have dried rose petals.
cook the vermicelli kheer mixture for 4 to 5 minutes more till the seviyan gets cooked and the milk thickens. when the seviyan has softened and cooked well, the kheer will also thicken and look creamy.
switch off flame and then 1 tablespoons raisins. mix again. check the taste of vermicelli kheer and if required you can add some more sugar.
serve the vermicelli kheer hot, warm or chilled. you can garnish with some chopped nuts or dried rose petals while serving. do note that on cooling the kheer will thicken.
few tips for semiya kheer
- the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- use good quality & fresh full fat milk.
- the amount of vermicelli can be decreased or increased. if you add more seviyan the consistency will be much thicker like a thick pudding. you can go for the kheer consistency as per your liking.
- dry fruits can be added as per your choice. you can also add some rose water to the seviyan kheer.
- when cooled the seviyan kheer tends to be thick. so if you don't like thick semiya kheer then don't thicken the milk. alternatively you can add some more milk to the seviyan kheer.
- addition of cloves, saffron and rose petals is optional in this semiya kheer.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 79mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 0.7mg