garlic naan is indian leavened flatbread made with wheat flours and spiced with garlic.
Prep Time3 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time3 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 4 to 5
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste or minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1.5 or 2 teaspoon lemon juice OR 3 to 4 teaspoon curd (yogurt)
- 4 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- ¾ cup water - add more if required
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped celery or coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon salt or as required
- extra oil or ghee for frying or smearing on the naan (optional)
making dough for garlic naan
proof the yeast in sugar dissolved with 3/4 cup warm water.
after the yeast proofs and rises, add all the flours, garlic paste, lemon juice or yogurt, salt and oil to the yeast mixture.
knead to a smooth dough. add water if required while kneading.
cover with a moist cloth and keep the dough to leaven for 1:30 to 2 hours.
rolling garlic naan
when the dough doubles up, then make medium sized balls of the dough.
cover and keep aside for 15-20 mins.
in a plate or tray take the chopped garlic, celery leaves and nigella seeds. mix these well.
take each ball on a dusted board and roll into a small disc of 2 inches.
place this disc on the garlic-celery-nigella-seeds mixture.
remove and keep on a dusted board. now roll to a round of about 5 to 6 inches diameter.
making garlic naan
heat a tava or frying pan.
place the garlic and celery side of the naan touching the hot tava.
cook this side till browned and done. now hold the garlic naan with a tong and place the uncooked side directly on the fire.
roast this side on the fire till browned and done.
smear some oil or ghee on top of the naan. cook all the garlic naan this way.
serve garlic naan bread hot or warm.