palak chaat recipe
palak patta chaat recipe - crisp fried palak pakora topped with spicy green chutney, tangy and sweet tamarind dates chutney and onions, sev and spice mixes.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for the palak pakora
- 12 to 15 medium sized palak leaves (spinach leaves)
- ½ cup besan (gram flour)
- a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- a pinch of red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- a generous pinch of saunf powder (fennel powder)
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds or bishops weed)
- salt as required
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (optional)
- water as required
- oil for frying the pakoras
for the palak chaat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- a small bowl of curd (dahi or yogurt) or any vegan yogurt. i added peanut yogurt
- a small bowl of green chutney
- a small bowl of sweet chutney
- sev as required - fried gram flour vermicelli
- some crushed papdis or pooris
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils (optional)
- chaat masala as required
- roasted cumin powder as required (bhuna jeera powder)
- red chili powder as required (lal mirch powder)
- black salt as required
- 1 or 2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
making palak pakora for chaat
remove only the leaves from the palak bunch. rinse them well in water.
wipe them dry with a kitchen towel.
in a bowl mix all the dry ingredients - besan, turmeric powder, asafoetida, red chili powder, fennel powder, carom seeds and salt.
add water and make a thick flowing batter.
heat oil for frying in a kadai or pan.
dip each spinach leaf in the batter and place them in the hot oil.
fry them in batches till golden and crisp. drain on kitchen tissues to remove excess oil.
making palak chaat
on a serving plate/plates, place the fried palak pakoras.
top with the green chutney and sweet chutney as required.
sprinkle some chopped onions.
pour 2 to 3 tablespoon of yogurt (curd) or as required.
sprinkle with chaat masala, cumin powder, red chili powder, salt as required.
top with some sev and crushed papdis (flat crisp puris).
lastly garnish palak chaat with some chopped coriander leaves and pomegranate.
serve palak chaat immediately.