bhindi bhaji recipe
bhindi ki bhaji is a simple and easy to prepare okra recipe with coconut
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 250 to 300 grams bhindi - rinsed and chopped into ¼ or ½ inch round slices (okra or lady finger)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 to 3 kokum OR ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
heat oil. saute the onions first till transparent.
add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
add the turmeric powder and stir.
add the bhindi (okra) along with the kokum & salt. stir well.
place a lid with a rim on top of the pan. pour water on the lid.
on a low flame, steam the bhindi till they are cooked.
in between keep on checking and stirring the bhindi.
when the bhindi is cooked, add grated coconut.
stir and cook for a minute.
garnish bhindi bhaji with coriander leaves.
serve bhindi bhaji with chapatis or with dal-rice or sambar-rice.
- if you don't have kokum, then you can either add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) OR ½ teaspoon lemon juice.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 88mg | Potassium: 489mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 895IU | Vitamin C: 35.6mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 1.2mg