simple, aromatic and healthy veg pulao recipe
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time55 mins
main ingredients for veg pulao recipe
- 1.5 cups long grained or basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup heaped EACH of chopped potatoes, cauliflower/broccoli, french beans, green peas (fresh or frozen) and carrots - OR 1 to 1.5 cups chopped vegetables of your choice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- ½ inch ginger + 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves + 1 green chili - crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 6 to 7 drops of lime juice
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or veg stock * check notes below for details. i added 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
whole spices for pulao recipe
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) OR ¾ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 4 to 5 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf or tamalpatra)
- 2 to 3 cloves (laung or lavang)
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 single strands of mace (jayitri or javitri) - optional
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool) - optional
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool or patthar ke phool) - optional
soaking rice for veg pulao recipe
making pulao recipe
in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan, heat ghee or oil and fry all the whole spices mentioned above, till the oil becomes fragrant
add the onions and saute them till golden. saute the onions on a low flame and stir often for uniform browning.
add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 10 to 12 seconds.
add the tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium-low flame.
add all the veggies and saute again for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium-low flame.
add rice and saute gently for 2 minutes on a low or medium-low flame, so that the rice gets well coated with the oil.
pour water and stir.
sprinkle 6 to 7 drops of lime juice or lemon juice. season with salt and stir again.
cooking veg pulao
cover tightly and let the rice cook on a low flame, till the water is absorbed and the rice is well cooked.
check in between a few times to check if the water is enough. depending on the quality of rice, you may need to add less or more water. with a fork too, you can gently stir the rice without breaking the rice grains.
once the rice grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for 5 minutes.
serve the veg pulao hot with some side salad, sliced onion & lemon wedges or raita. you can also garnish veg pulao with chopped coriander or mint leaves.
- if you are making veg pulao in a 3 litre pressure cooker, then add 2.5 to 2.75 cups water. for an al dente texture, 2.5 cups is fine and for a softer texture 2.75 cups water is fine. pressure cook rice on medium flame for 2 whistles. in case the rice grains are undercooked, then add ¼ cup water and pressure cook for 1 whistle more.
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3345IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg