pilaf rice recipe
Aromatic and tasty asian style veg pulao or veg pilaf recipe
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup basmati rice or long grained rice - soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 cups water or veg stock
- 2 spring onions or scallions, finely chopped
- ½ to ¾ cup small broccoli or cauliflower florets (gobi) - blanched in salted water
- ⅓ cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon chopped celery
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or as required
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon julienned ginger (adrak)
- salt as required
- 8 to 10 fried or roasted whole cashews (kaju) or ¼ cup shelled peanuts (moongphali) fried or roasted
Heat oil in a deep pot or pan. Add the cinnamon and star anise.
Fry till they become fragrant and release their aroma in the oil.
Now add the whites of the spring onions and fry till they are light golden.
Add the ginger and fry for 30 seconds.
Add the carrots and broccoli and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle the black pepper powder and salt.
Add the soy sauce, celery and stir for a minute.
Now add the soaked and drained rice and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Add water or veg stock and stir again.
Check the seasoning and add salt or pepper or soy sauce if required.
Cover with a tight lid and cook the rice till they are cooked with separate grains.
Check the rice in between whilst cooking. If the water dries up then add a few tbsp of water.
Don't stir as it will break the rice grains.
Once done, top the fried/roasted cashews or peanuts on the rice and serve pilaf rice hot.
You can also garnish the pilaf rice with spring onion greens and serve.