Schezwan Fried Rice
schezwan fried rice is a spicy and tasty indo chinese recipe of stir fried vegetables and rice in schezwan sauce
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for cooking rice
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 drops of oil
for making schezwan fried rice
- 2 or 2.5 cups finally chopped vegetables (i used - 1 medium carrot, 8 french beans, ¼ cup finally chopped cabbage, 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper)
- 1 or 2 spring onions (scallions) - finely chopped - reserve the greens for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional) - skip if you do not have.
- 2 to 3 garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon schezwan sauce or as required
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or as required
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil or any vegetable oil
- salt as required
rinse rice very well till the water runs clear of starch. soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
drain and keep aside.
in a pot, bring to a gentle boil 6 cups of water with salt and 2 to 3 drops of oil.
add the soaked and drained rice to the hot water.
on a low to medium flame cook the rice without the lid.
when the rice becomes al dente or just cooked, remove the pot from fire and strain the rice.
gently rinse the rice in water so that they stop cooking and don't stick to each other.
cover the rice and keep aside.
making schezwan fried rice
finely chop all the vegetables. you can even shred the vegetables in a food processor.
heat oil in a wok. add garlic and saute for a 15 to 20 seconds.
add the onions, celery and all the vegetables.
increase the flame and stir fry the vegetables on a high heat.
more finely the vegetables are chopped, more faster they will cook.
keep on stirring and tossing the vegetables on a high heat continuously. so that they are equally browned and cooked.
when the edges of the veggies starts to become light brown, add schezwan sauce.
stir and then add the drained rice in parts. mix and toss the rice with the veggies gently.
season with salt, pepper and vinegar. stir and toss well so that the sauce coats all the rice grains evenly.
garnish with the spring onions greens.
serve schezwan fried rice plain or with a side indo chinese dish like veg manchurian, mushroom manchurian or any dish of your choice.