batata bhaji or aloo sabzi is an easy recipe of boiled, peeled and chopped or crumbled potatoes tempered with spices and sautéed.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes (aloo or batata)
- 9 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
boiling potatoes for aloo sabji
rinse the potatoes well.
boil the potatoes with some salt with enough water in a pressure cooker, pan or steamer.
i pressure cooked the potatoes with water just covering the potatoes for 7-8 whistles.
the potatoes have to be cooked till tender.
peel the potatoes when they are cooled and either chop them or crumble them.
making batata bhaji
heat oil in a pan.
lower the flame add the mustard seeds and let them pop first.
then add the cumin seeds and brown them.
add the green chilies and curry leaves and saute for a minute on low flame.
add the turmeric powder and asafoetida and stir.
add the chopped potatoes and stir.
season with salt and sugar and saute the potatoes for 3-4 minutes on a low flame stirring often.
switch off the fire and add the lemon juice and stir.
either garnish the batata bhaji with coriander leaves or stir in the coriander leaves.
serve batata bhaji hot with pooris, poli or with varan-bhaat.