rajashthani kadhi is a spiced curd sauce that can be had plain or served with steamed basmati rice or cumin rice.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for dahi kadhi mixture
- 1 cup sour full fat curd (khatta dahi or yogurt)
- 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons besan (gram flour)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- salt as required
for tempering rajasthani kadhi
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
- 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- a generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole or halved and seeds removed
making rajasthani kadhi
mix the above mentioned kadhi ingredients including salt, till smooth in a pan. use a wired whisk to stir. no lumps should be there.
keep on a low flame and stirring at intervals simmer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes till the gram flour or besan gets cooked and the kadhi thickens a bit.
the consistency of the dahi kadhi is neither thick nor thin.
keep aside covered.
tempering rajasthani kadhi
heat oil or ghee in a small pan.
add the mustard seeds along with the bay leaf first.
let the mustard seeds start popping & crackling.
then add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
stir and add red chilies and asafoetida.
fry for a few seconds till the red chilies darken a bit.
switch off the flame.
add the red chili powder and stir.
immediately pour this tempering into the kadhi.
cover and let the tempering flavors infuse with the rajasthani kadhi.
after 5 to 6 mins, stir and serve rajasthani kadhi hot with phulkas, steamed rice or jeera rice.
- to make the dahi kadhi gluten free, skip the asafoetida (hing).
Calories: 749kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 1502mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 1175IU | Vitamin C: 65.3mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 7.9mg