easy carrot halwa recipe with milkmaid
gajar ka halwa with condensed milk - an easy recipe of carrot halwa made with sweetened condensed milk or milkmaid.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 5 to 6
- 1.5 kg carrots - approx 9 cups tightly packed grated carrots (gajar)
- 6 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 8 to 9 green cardamoms (chotti elachi) - powdered in a mortar-pestle
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk - i used nestle milkmaid 400 grams
- sugar as required - (optional)
- ⅓ cup cashews (kaju)
- ⅓ cup golden raisins (kishmish)
rinse, peel and grate the carrots with a hand held grater or in a food processor.
heat ghee in a kadai or thick bottomed deep pan. add the grated carrots.
saute the carrots till they turn tender and are cooked. keep on stirring in intervals while sauting the carrots.
then add the condensed milk.
stir very well and add the cardamom powder, cashews and raisins.
stir again and simmer the gajar halwa on a low flame stirring often, till the mixture dries up and reduces.
check the taste and if required, you can add some sugar. i did not add any sugar as the taste was perfect for us.
serve gajar halwa hot or warm or chilled.