palak khichdi is a sumptuous and nutritious khichdi made with mung lentils, rice, spinach and peanuts.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 2 cups chopped palak (spinach)
- ¼ or ⅓ cup raw peanuts (moongphali)
- ½ cup moong dal (yellow mung lentils)
- ½ cup long grained rice or basmati rice
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1 medium size potato, chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera) Or cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic - crushed in a mortar-pestle to a paste Or 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 1 green chilli, chopped (hari mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) * check notes
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 3.5 to 4 cups water
preparation for palak khichdi
pick and rinse both the rice and moong dal together.
soak them together in enough water for about 30 minutes.
rinse the palak or spinach leaves well.
chop them and then in a mixer or blender, make a smooth puree of the spinach adding very little water. keep the spinach puree aside.
making palak khichdi
heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker. add the caraway seeds or cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and cardamoms.
fry the whole spices for some seconds till they become fragrant. add the finely chopped onion and saute till they become golden.
add the ginger-garlic paste and the chopped green chilies. saute for about 15-20 seconds or till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
then add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they begin to soften.
add the turmeric powder and asafoetida and stir well.
now add the peanuts, potatoes and saute for about 2 minutes.
add the spinach puree and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
strain the rice and moong dal and add them to the spinach mixture. stir well.
cooking palak khichdi
pour 3.5 to 4 cups water. add salt and stir well.
check the taste and if required add some more salt. pressure cook palak khichdi on medium flame for 5 to 6 whistles.
once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. check the consistency of the palak khichdi.
if the khichdi looks thick, then you can add some hot water and simmer for a few minutes.
remember to stir often as otherwise the khichdi gets stuck at the bottom. if the khichdi appears thin, then simmer till you get the desired consistency.
while serving, pour the palak khichdi in bowls or plates and top with 1/2 to 1 tsp of ghee.
serve the palak khichdi hot with plain curd/yogurt or raita or a simple vegetable salad.
- skip the asafoetida for a gluten free version of this khichdi.