veg manchow soup recipe - spicy and hot indo chinese soup made from mixed vegetables
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
for manchow soup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or any other oil
- 1 to 2 fresh red chilies or green chilies - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (lahsun)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions or spring onion whites
- ¼ to ⅓ cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage (patta gobi)
- ¼ cup grated carrots (gajar)
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum (green bell pepper)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or white pepper powder, add as required
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce or add as required
- 3 cups water or veg stock
- 6 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoon water (for a slight thicker consistency in the soup - dissolve 7 to 8 teaspoon corn starch in 3 tablespoon water)
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or regular vinegar
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- salt as required
for the fried noodles - optional
- ⅓ cup cooked noodles
- oil for frying as required
stir frying veggies for manchow soup
first chop all the veggies and keep aside.
heat oil in a wok or pan and add the chopped fresh red chilies, garlic and ginger.
saute for a minute and then add chopped onions. saute again for a minute.
now add finely chopped french beans and chopped mushrooms.
stir fry on a medium to high flame till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges.
then add grated carrots, shredded cabbage, finely chopped capsicum/bell pepper & celery.
stir fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
making manchow soup
in the meantime, if you have cooked noodles, then add them to oil for frying. this is an optional step.
fry the noodles till they are crisp. drain the fried noodles on kitchen paper towels.
once the veggies are stir fried for 3 to 4 minutes, then add soy sauce and black pepper. stir.
now add water or veg stock.
season with salt. allow the soup to come to a simmer on a medium flame. keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has a lot of salt.
meanwhile. make a smooth paste of the corn starch with water.
add the corn starch paste to the soup. stir very well and let the manchow soup thicken.
lastly add rice vinegar or regular vinegar. switch off the flame. stir and check the taste of veg manchow soup. add more seasonings like salt, black pepper or soy sauce or vinegar if required.
stir and serve manchow soup hot topped with fried noodles.
you can also mix chopped coriander leaves towards the end or serve manchow soup garnished with coriander leaves.