punjabi aloo chole sabzi recipe - a spiced chickpea potato curry from the famous kwality restaurant in delhi.
Prep Time9 hrs
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time9 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for aloo chole sabzi
- 1 cup chole (dried chickpeas or white chana)
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- 3 to 4 cups water for pressure cooking
- salt as required
for making chana masala powder
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 3 to 4 cloves (lavang)
- 5 to 6 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
for pomegranate seeds paste
- 2 teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds or sookha anardana
- 6 to 7 teaspoon water for grinding the pomegranate seeds
other ingredients for aloo chole recipe
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies or as required - slit or sliced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tablespoon oil or 2 tablespoon ghee
- ½ inch ginger, julienned (adrak)
- 1 green chili, sliced (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
preparation for aloo chole ki sabzi
soak the dried chickpeas or chole in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours. drain the water.
rinse the potatoes very well. in a pressure cooker, add the chickpeas, potatoes and 3-4 cups water. pressure cook on medium to high flame for 7-9 whistles.
remove the potatoes and peel and quarter or dice them.
strain the stock of the chickpeas and keep it aside.
make a fine powder of the spices mentioned under the "chana masala powder" list in a dry grinder.
make a paste of the dry pomegranate seeds. keep aside. if you want you can strain the pomegranate seeds paste.
making aloo chole ki sabzi
in a kadai or pan, take the drained chickpeas and stir in the pomegranate seeds paste.
cook on a low to medium flame stirring occasionally, till the liquids dry up.
now add the potatoes, tomatoes, green chilies, the ground chana masala powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and 1 cup of the strained chana stock.
stir well and let the gravy cook for 8-10 minutes on low to medium flame.
heat 1.5 tbsp ghee or oil in a small pan.
add this hot oil or ghee to the chana mixture. stir and cook for 2-3 mins.
then add 3/4 to 1 cup water and continue to cook for further 4-5 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
check the taste and add more salt if required. heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp ghee or oil in the same small pan and add the hot oil or ghee to the aloo chana masala.
switch off the fire and stir in the ginger juliennes, coriander leaves and green chilies.
serve aloo chana sabzi hot with bhaturas.
Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1760mg | Potassium: 1769mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1120IU | Vitamin C: 49.8mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 11.7mg