dry gobi manchurian
dry cauliflower manchurian recipe - indo chinese recipe of pan fried cauliflower florets coated with a spicy sauce.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 to 5
for pan frying gobi florets
- 1 medium cauliflower (phool gobi)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 4 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder or deghi mirch (add about 1 teaspoon to get a good color. but this will also increase the heat a bit)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon water or as required
- 5 to 6 tablespoon oil for pan frying
other ingredients for dry gobi manchurian
- ¾ cup chopped spring onion (scallion whites) - reserve the greens for garnish
- ½ cup finely chopped capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1.5 inch ginger, finely chopped Or 3 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 8 to 10 medium garlic, finely chopped Or 3 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped Or 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1.5 tablespoon light soy sauce or ½ to 1 tablespoon soy sauce you can also add as per your taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce or add as required
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar Or ½ teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- salt as required
preparing gobi florets
firstly chop or break the gobi/cauliflower in medium size florets.
heat water with salt and boil it. rinse the cauliflower florets and add them to the hot water.
let them get blanched in the water for 15-20 minutes. later drain and keep aside.
frying gobi florets for making dry gobi manchurian
in a bowl mix together the ingredients for making the batter - all purpose flour/maida, corn starch, soy sauce, black pepper, kashmiri red chili powder and salt.
add water and whisk to make a smooth batter without any lumps.
dip each gobi floret in the batter.
fry the batter coated gobi florets in hot oil. i have pan fried and added about 6 tbsp oil. later i have not added any oil while stir frying the spring onions etc.
you can also deep fry or shallow fry. i have fried in batches of three. so depending on the size of your pan, you can fry at once or in batches. the frying takes some time.
when one side gets cooked and crisp, turn over each gobi florets and pan fry the uncooked sides.
flip for a couple of times more, so that the gobi florets are evenly fried and light golden.
drain the fried gobi florets on a kitchen paper towel. fry all the gobi florets this way in batches.
making dry gobi manchurian
no need to add any oil again. in the same pan, add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. saute for a half a minute.
then add the chopped spring onions & capsicum. add chopped celery if using. increase the flame and stir fry till the capsicum is half cooked or almost cooked.
add soy sauce, tomato sauce, black pepper and salt. stir.
add the pan fried cauliflower florets.
stir fry for two to three minutes ensuring the spiced sauce coats the cauliflower florets well.
lastly add vinegar and stir well. check the taste and add more of soy sauce or tomato sauce as per your taste.
switch off the fire. mix in the chopped spring onions greens or garnish with them while serving gobi manchurian.
serve gobi manchurian dry as a snack or as a side dish with veg fried rice or mushroom fried rice or veg hakka noodles or veg noodles.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 968mg | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg