besan bhindi recipe
besan ki bhindi recipe - a spiced dry okra curry made with roasted gram flour from the rajasthani cuisine.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
main ingredients for besan bhindi
- 200 to 250 grams small sized bhindi (okra or lady finger)
- 4 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon water (optional)
- 3 tablespoon oil for sauting the bhindi
- ½ tablespoon ghee for frying the besan
- salt as required
for garnishing besan bhindi
- ½ inch ginger julienned or cut into thin strips
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- few chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)- optional
preparation for besan bhindi
in a small bowl, mix together the ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water.
keep this pickled ginger aside for a minimum of 40 mins to 1 hour or maximum of 3 hours.
rinse and pat dry the okra (bhindi). slice off the crown and the tip of the bhindi.
then make two or three slits on each bhindi, without breaking them.
making besan bhindi
heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. add the bhindi. saute them till they are crisp and browned.
drain the bhindi on paper towels to remove excess oil.
in the same pan, add 1/2 tbsp ghee.
add the besan/gram flour and fry the besan till it changes color and becomes aromatic. keep on stirring while frying the besan so that it does not get burnt.
you should see the fat releasing from the besan.
add the bhindi to the besan. stir.
then add all the spice powders (coriander, dry mango powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder).
stir well and sprinkle salt and 1/2 tbsp water. adding water is optional and you can also skip this step.
stir and saute, until the roasted gram flour and spice mixture coats the bhindi well.
lastly, add garam masala and give a stir.
while serving besan wali bhindi, garnish bhindi with the julienned ginger from the sugar syrup along with coriander leaves.
serve besan ki bhindi recipe hot with roti or chappati or as a side dish with dal rice or curry rice.