instant pot korma
This instant pot korma is an aromatic, delicious and lightly spiced curry made with mix vegetables.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
for making spice paste
- 6 tablespoons fresh grated coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 6 whole cashews
- 1 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted split & husked chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3 to 4 medium sized garlic - chopped
- 1 inch ginger - chopped
- 3 to 4 dry red kashmiri chilies or byadgi chilies - broken and deseeded if you prefer. substitute with 1 to 2 green chilies or 1 to 2 dry red chillies of any other variety depending on the hotness and pungency of the chilies.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (khus khus) - if not available then skip
- a small tiny piece of stone flower (dagad phool or kalpasi or patthar ke phool) - skip if not available. stone flower is strongly aromatic and flavored. so use a very tiny piece.
- ½ cup water for grinding or add as required
- 3 tablespoons oil - sunflower oil or peanut oil or any neutral tasting oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onions or 1 medium-sized onion
- 8 to 10 curry leaves or 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes or medium-sized tomato
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup chopped carrots or a medium to large carrot or 80 to 90 grams carrots
- ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped french beans or 40 to 50 grams french beans
- ½ cup green peas - fresh or frozen
- 1 medium to large potato or 80 to 100 grams potatoes
- ¼ to ⅓ cup diced capsicum (green bell pepper) - optional
- 4 to 5 white button mushrooms - optional
- 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) - for garnish
Take all the ingredients mentioned under the list "spice paste" in a grinder.
Add ½ cup water and grind to a smooth paste. if required you can add 2 to 3 tablespoons more water while grinding.
Keep the ground paste aside.
Rinse, peel and dice all the veggies.
Switch on the instant pot. Press the sauté button on less or normal mode for 10 to 15 minutes. When the instant pot displays hot, add 3 tablespoon oil. Add the chopped onions and curry leaves. You can also add 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf) instead of curry leaves.
Sauté onions till they soften and turn translucent. No need to brown the onions.
Add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder. Mix very well and sauté tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the ground coconut & spices paste. Mix very well.
Sauté masala paste for 8 to 9 minutes on the Low mode of sauté option. keep on stirring often so that the masala paste does not stick at the bottom of the steel insert pan. The masala paste will thicken and look glossy after it gets cooked well.
Add the diced vegetables. At this step you can also add 2 tablespoons curd (yogurt). You can use either dairy yogurt or almond yogurt or cashew yogurt.
Stir and mix very well. Deglaze after adding vegetables. Stir very well and scrape any ingredient stuck at the bottom of the steel insert pot. The moisture from the veggies will help in deglazing.
Press the cancel button. Add 1.5 cups water in the grinder or blender jar. Close lid and swirl and shake the jar. So the masala stuck beneath the blades and the sides of the jar gets mixed with the water. Keep aside.
Add this masala mixed water. Mix very well and deglaze if required.
Cover ip with its lid. Position the valve to its sealing position. Use the pressure cook or manual mode and set the timer to 5 minutes on high pressure.
Wait for 3 minutes once you hear the beep after the pressure cooking is done. Then give a quick pressure release. Open the lid.
Give a stir. Check the taste and add more salt if required. If the consistency of korma looks very thick, then add some hot water. Mix well.
Serve instant pot korma garnished with some coriander leaves with roti, paratha or poori or rumali roti or steamed rice. Also serve some lemon wedges.
Tips & suggestions
- Consistency: you can make a thick or medium consistency gravy by adding less or more water.
- Burn sign: while pressure cooking if you get burn sign on the display, then lift the valve and release all the pressure. Remove the lid. Add ½ cup water. Mix very well and pressure cook for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh curd or yogurt can also be added with the raw vegetables. You can even use vegan yogurt like almond yogurt or cashew yogurt.
- Consistency: if the korma gravy has a very thick consistency after pressure cooking, then add some hot water. Mix very well.
- Instant pot 6 quart: The recipe is made in a 6 quart instant pot. You can easily make it in a 3 quart instant pot. For making in a 8 quart instant pot, you will need to add more water.
- Almonds can be used instead of cashews.
- Roasted chana dal can be skipped.
- In place of poppy seeds you can use melon seeds or poppy seeds can be skipped entirely.
- Adding stone flower is optional and can be skipped.
- Curry leaves can be replaced with 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf).
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 499mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2537IU | Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): 1mg | Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 1mg | Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 20mg | Vitamin B6: 1mg | Vitamin B12: 1µg | Vitamin C: 63mg | Vitamin D: 1µg | Vitamin E: 1mg | Vitamin K: 12µg | Calcium: 81mg | Vitamin B9 (Folate): 228µg | Iron: 3mg | Magnesium: 41mg | Phosphorus: 104mg | Zinc: 1mg