biryani rice recipe
biryani rice is a light, aromatic rice dish. biryani rice is easy to prepare and goes very well with any rich vegetarian curry or dal.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for making biryani rice
- 1 cup basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 3 to 4 cloves (lavang)
- 4 to 5 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (chotti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 single strands of mace (javitri)
- ½ teaspoon shahjeera (caraway seeds)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste Or 3 to 4 garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger - crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves (pudina patta)
- 18 to 20 saffron strands (kesar)
- 5 to 6 drops of lemon juice
- salt as required
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced Or ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions
- 10 to 12 cashews (kaju)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon oil
- a few mint leaves or coriander leaves for garnish
rinse the basmati rice for a couple of times in water.
soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
later drain and keep aside.
making biryani rice
heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
add the caraway seeds along with the whole spices and saute them till fragrant.
now add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped coriander and mint leaves.
saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic disappears.
then add the soaked rice and saffron strands. stir gently.
now add water, 5 to 6 drops of lemon juice and salt.
pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or for 6 to 7 minutes.
if cooking in a pan, then cover the pan tightly with a lid. let the cook rice till its just done.
the rice grains should be cooked well and yet remain separate. they should not become soft or mushy. while cooking in a pan, check in between but don't stir as this will break the rice grains.
if you feel the water is less, then just add the required amount of hot water.
cover and let the rice cook till done.
making garnish for biryani rice
whilst the rice is cooking, heat oil in a small pan.
add the sliced onions and fry till they become golden.
add a pinch of salt so that the onions brown quickly.
remove and drain them on paper tissues so that the extra oil is soaked.
in the same pan, roast the cashews till golden.
while being served, garnish the biryani rice with the fried onions, cashews, mint leaves.
you can serve biryani rice with with any rich vegetarian curry or dal.