flavorful and spiced spaghetti bolognese made with mushrooms. a vegetarian recipe of spaghetti bolognese.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 250 grams white button mushrooms - rinsed and chopped
- 250 grams whole wheat or semolina spaghetti
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (lahsun)
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, pureed
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar or ½ tablespoon white wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs Or 2 teaspoon dry mixed herbs Or italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or red chili powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt as required
- black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) as required
first cook the pasta in enough boiling water to which some salt has been added.
cook the spaghetti till al dente.
strain and stir some oil in the spaghetti so that they don't stick to each other or dry out.
making bolognese sauce
make a puree of the tomatoes.
heat olive oil. first add the onions and garlic .
saute for 3 to 4 minutes or till the onions gets cooked, but don't brown them.
add the mushrooms and saute them till the mushrooms are cooked.
initially the mushrooms will release water. continue to stir and sauté till all the water is evaporated and the mushrooms turn light golden at the edges.
the mushroom will also shrink in size
now add the tomato puree. simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. stir in between.
add the celery or basil or a mixture of fresh or dry herbs ( i used celery and basil)
add the balsamic vinegar or wine and stir.
also add the red chili flakes, salt and pepper. stir the sauce. check the taste and add some more herbs, vinegar, salt if required.
making spaghetti bolognese