methi na gota
gujarati methi na gota recipe - tea time snack made from besan (gram flour) and fenugreek leaves.
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 12 to 14 pakoras
- 1 or 1.25 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 cup methi leaves (fenugreek leaves)
- 1 medium sized ripe banana
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds (safed til)
- 8 to 10 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch) - crushed
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania) - crushed
- 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 pinch of baking soda Or ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 green chili + ½ inch ginger - crushed into a paste in a mortar and pestle
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying the pakoras
making methi na gota batter
rinse and then chop the methi leaves finely.
mash the banana in a bowl. add the methi leaves to it.
add all the ingredients including the 2 tsp oil.
add very little water, about 1 or 2 tbsp and make a thick batter, like a thick cake batter.
we are making a thick batter first so that later, the batter will become thin as the methi leaves will start to leave water. this also depends on how much water content the methi leaves have.
keep this batter covered aside for 30 minutes.
after 30 minutes check the batter.
the batter should be of smooth, flowing consistency.
if the batter is still thick then you can add a few tbsps of water.
frying methi na gota
heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or deep fryer.
when the oil is medium hot. drop the batter from 1 tbsp measuring spoon into the oil.
take care not to touch the spoon with the hot oil. you can also use a regular spoon.
as soon as you drop the spoonful of batter in the oil, they will start puffing up and expand a bit and becoming brown.
since we have added bananas the browning happens faster. so fry on a medium hot oil.
fry the methi pakoras till golden and crisp all over.
drain the methi pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve methi na gota hot with any green chutney or tomato sauce.