whole masoor dal
sabut masoor ki dal recipe - spiced and tasty dal made from whole masoor dal or pink lentils.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for cooking sabut masoor dal
- 1 cup whole masoor dal (sabut masoor dal)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the dal
other ingredients for sabut masoor dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic (adrak-lahsun paste)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or regular garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- a few chopped coriander leaves or some crushed kasuri methi or cream for garnishing
- salt as required
- 1 cup hot water or as required
pressure cooking whole masoor dal
pick and rinse 1 cup whole masoor dal for a couple of times in water. if you have time then you can soak the lentils for about 30 to 40 minutes after washing.
in a pressure cooker take 1 cup sabut masoor dal and add 2.5 to 3 cups water. pressure cook for 10 to 12 minutes or 3 to 4 whistles or cook till they are softened. timing will vary depending upon the quality and age of dal.
making tempering for whole masoor dal
heat 2 tablespoons oil for tempering the dal in the pan.
add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle. then add 1 medium sized chopped onion.
now fry till the onions are golden or browned. this is an important step in making this dal.
you have to brown the onions as the browning gives a lot of flavor and taste to the dal.
add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
add the tomatoes and green chilli and fry again for a few minutes till the tomatoes become soft and pulpy. you will also see oil releasing from the sides of the masala paste.
add ½ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder. mix well.
making whole masoor dal
now add this mixture to the cooked masoor or add the masoor dal to the tempering - whatever suits you. mix well and add salt as required.
simmer the masoor dal on a low or medium flame. if the dal is too thick then add some hot water or as required to get the right consistency. i have added about 1 cup of water to the dal.
mash some dal with your ladle or spoon at the sides of the pan. this is done to get a creamier consistency.
finally add 2 to 3 tablespoons cream (optional) and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
next add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi. stir well. switch off the burner.
garnish sabut masoor dal with kasuri methi or cream or a few chopped coriander leaves.
sabut masoor ki dal is ready to be served with some basmati rice or rotis.
if making sabut masoor ki dal in a pan or pot:
- soak the masoor dal for 1 to 2 hours in water.
- then use 4 to 4.5 cups more water to cook the dal. then follow the recipe.
- amount of extra water needed depends upon quality of the dal. e.g. if the dal is aged then it will take more time to cook and will also need more water.
- cooking dal/lentils in a pressure cooker is easier and quicker.